Amplication’s licensing model
Amplication has developed as an open-source application, available to all, and providing value for thousands of users. Our strong belief in open-source has enabled us to create a revolution in the way applications are developed, saving hours of development time, and boosting productivity.
To continue this revolution, Amplication must become a sustainable business. For this reason, we are working on providing two versions of the product, Community Edition and Enterprise Edition.
Community and Enterprise Editions
The Amplication Community and Enterprise editions will each have their own licensing model:
Community Edition (CE) – contains Amplication's core functionality. It is open-source and free to use for the whole community. The Amplication Community Edition continues to be licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.
Enterprise Edition (EE) - adds advanced operations, security, and commercially orientated features. The Enterprise Edition is built on top of the Community Edition and the additional functionality will be supplied as source-available. While users can view and download the code, ownership of the code remains with Amplication, meaning users cannot resell it. Use of the Amplication Enterprise Edition is subject to the Amplication Terms of Service.
The Community Edition continues to be easily accessible from Amplication GitHub repository. The Enterprise Edition source code resides on the same repository under the
The Future of the Enterprise Edition
For the time being, all features of the Amplication Enterprise Edition will be provided free of charge on Amplication Cloud. Developers from all types of organizations will be able to use all features for free.
In the future, as we add features to the Enterprise Edition, we may introduce free and paid tiers, charging for certain new features based on a pricing model that will be announced in advance.
Amplication cloud at https://app.amplication.com/ serves the Amplication Enterprise Edition and includes all features from the Community Edition.
Amplication’s Continuing Commitment to Open Source
- Amplication remains fully committed to open source and promises to be a good steward of its open-source project, by ensuring that it continues to evolve with powerful new features. As we extend our Enterprise Edition, we will ensure that this does not conflict with our open-source project.
- When an open-source (Community Edition) feature has been contributed by members of the Amplication community, we won't move that feature to the Enterprise Edition.
- If a feature is planned for both Community and Enterprise Editions, it will be released simultaneously in both. We won't introduce features into the Community Edition codebase with a fixed delay.
- We will always make it clear what is proprietary and what is open-source code.
- We will keep all features including the Enterprise Edition features for free on Amplication Cloud for the open-source community, individual developers, and small-scale projects.
Deciding what is in the Community or Enterprise Editions
The Amplication team will decide which features will be included in each of the editions.
We are committed to keep building the core functionality of Amplication with an open-source license.
However, each case will be decided on its own merit. As a rule, if the feature is likely to be of use mainly to a commercial organization it will be included in the Enterprise Edition. All other features will be included in the Community Edition.
What do you think?
We’d love to know what you think about Amplication’s new licensing model. Go to GitHub to join the discussion.